Now Philadelphia Phillies fans know what holes their team needs to fill in the coming weeks before the start of the 2022 MLB season. The team needs a left fielder, a middle fielder and to fill the bullpen.
But there are also question marks in the infield, third base being one of them. While Alec Bohm is the presumed occupant of the hot corner, Bohm’s defensive struggles there and Universal DH may keep the Phillies away from playing the 25-year-old at third every day.
While a name like Kris Bryant would have attracted the Phillies and has extensive third base experience, Oakland Athletics third baseman Matt Chapman is also on their radar.
Chapman is under club control for the next two seasons and won’t be a free agent until 2024, meaning Philadelphia would have to acquire him by trade. But what would it take to land the three-time Gold Glove Award winner?
According to Athleticism‘s Ken Rosenthal, Bohm could be a potential trade play to acquire Chapman, with fifth-ranked prospect Johan Rojas.
The Philadelphia Investigator‘s Alex Coffey added to Rosenthal’s report in a tweetstating that according to a source, the “A’s will not agree to trade Chapman to the Phillies unless the return package includes someone at the top of the Phillies farm system.”
That “someone” at the top of the Phillies farm system could include Rojas, or even Bryson Stott, Mick Abel or Andrew Painter. But, Coffey says “the Phillies have been reluctant to deal with these guys.”
Chapman, 28, battered .210/.314/.403 with 27 home runs and 72 RBIs in 2021. He also received his third Gold Glove Award. Chapman’s stellar defense at third base is certainly appealing to the Phillies.
MLB’s hot stove is only heating up, and Dave Dombrowski and the Phillies still have a lot to accomplish before Opening Day on April 8.
More IS Inside the Phillies:
- How Mike Trout will join the Phillies
- Phillies close in on superstar Center Fielder’s arrival in Philadelphia
- Phillies Prospect, 18, makes history
- How did Philadelphia end up with Citizens Bank Park?
- How the Phillie Phanatic Became America’s Favorite Sports Mascot
- This unlikely draft pick could be the final piece in the Phillies’ next blockbuster trade
- Predicting the 2022 Phillies Opening Day roster
- Choosing the Phillies’ All-Time Single Season Lineup
- Two former Philadelphia Phillies among those who testified at Tyler Skaggs trial
- The sad story of the Phillies’ first black baseball player
Be sure to follow Inside the Phillies on Facebook and Twitter!